Monday, January 28, 2008

Study Week

Today I begin a study week. I am very grateful to my congregation, which sees fit to give me a nice amount of time each year for study and reading and writing.

This week my two best buddies are coming down from Canada to join me. We three will take rooms at the St. Hilda's House, a convent and retreat center of the (very high and spiky) Episcopal Sisters of the Holy Spirit up in Morningside Heights.

We have been given library privileges at Union Theological Seminary.

In case you want to know, my companions will be Rev. Dr. Orville James, of Wellington Square United Church, Burlington, Ontario, and Rev. Robert Ripley, of Metropolitan United Church, London, Ontario. Not bad company, what.

Orville will bring a bunch of books. Rip will bring his materials to move ahead on his doctorate from Fuller.

I will bring my books for the course I'm teaching on Reformed Church History and Missions.

I will also bring the very lovely cigar I was given as a Christmas present by my favorite druid, one Jack Gavin, of Park Slope.

No comments: